Do you find yourself in regular power struggles?
Your child is very determined and yet at the same time very sensitive. It’s an awesome combination which doesn’t respond well to mainstream or old school parenting. In my work, I’ve discovered that connection parenting is definitely the way forward for these beautiful souls.
It’s likely if you have found your way to this website, you are the Mum of a strong-willed sensitive child or Wild Heart as I like to call them. (If you are not sure check out this post which goes into more detail). If you know your child is a Wildheart, then you have a really important job to do.
This child will wake you up!
Your child is here to do a very specific job and this is why I want to explain to you what your child needs without compromising who they are and without you feeling so exhausted. I want to make sure their unique gifts are honoured and harnessed so they can be who they came here to be. Anyway, if you try and mould them into somebody else, they will most certainly let you know about it!
What does your strong-willed sensitive child need?
1) Empathetic Boundaries
Meet them where they are. Show them you understand. Resist the urge to get into the story and make them wrong. Let them save face and so it is a win-win for everybody. Find a way to show them you can see how they feel and that you want to help them with that. They are motivated by their feelings.
2) Skills to Deal With The Depth of their Emotions
In the Ultimate Feel Good Pack your Wildheart child will get all their needs met. When their needs are met, their behaviour changes as if by magic!
- The tools for daily emotional housekeeping so that they can learn how to process their emotions before they have a meltdown.
- To zip up and protect themselves against meanies or people who tease them / misunderstand their sensitivity.
- To ground their energy so they can feel comfortable and safe in their little bodies.
- To understand what their feelings are trying to tell them (this is how they navigate through life).
Sometimes people don’t understand the depth of their feelings and any parent who is not comfortable with their own vulnerability, anger, sadness or anxiety is going to find it hard to parent this child. Your child will break you open and help you reconnect with the emotional part of you.
- Encouragement, kindness and acceptance for the way they are. They are sensitive to criticism. If you are a perfectionist you will have high standards and you will fault find a lot (you may not be aware of this but if you do it to yourself, they will watch and learn from you). This will render your child at fault a lot of the time and they will feel this deeply. It will affect how they see themselves and they will make it their mission to please you. Let’s not raise another generation of People Pleasers.
- Resist the urge to compare them to other children or their siblings. Every child is different and parenting style needs to match the child’s temperament. If you are new to Conscious (or connection) Parenting I have put together an ebook for you (it’s actually a 30 day mini training to help you tune into your child on an emotional level and create an environment for them to flourish).
- Love for who they are (without trying to change them to fit in – they don’t want to fit in but they need to belong. If you know your child’s love language, that really does help.
4) The Right Environment
- They don’t like being over scheduled and they value the freedom to sometimes be allowed to make choices about their life (age-appropriate).
- Quiet time and a way to connect back to themselves (guided visualisations are brilliant for this and they also help empty your child’s emotional backpack).
- Creativity and a chance to disappear into their own little world which flexes their amazing imagination.
- They love nature and animals and walking bare foot on the ground or hugging a few trees helps them get back in their bodies (and out of their heads where they live most of the time).
- They need time to make transitions from one thing to another and feel as if they have a say in what happens.
- They don’t like noisy over-crowded spaces and can get easily people-ed out.
- They need freedom to make choices and respond better to that than being told what to do. If you take the authoritarian approach with them, you will be met with a power struggle.
- They have strong intuition and in many situations are able to work it out for themselves – give them the time and space to do that. They are great creative problem solvers.
- They want to be responsible for what matters to them and they have leadership qualities, so try and encourage this part of them by letting them be in charge of something.
Sensitivity is A Wildheart’s Super Power
Watch the video above and play the message to your Wildheart. They will also love listening to the Truly Madly Smiley podcast. I want them to know that they are not alone and that their sensitivity is a really important part of them which will guide them through life.
I want these children to learn how to use their sensitivity to help them feel their way through life instead of being blown about by every breeze. In The Energy Pod (the weekly workout for Wild hearts and their families), I’ll be empowering children to understand, be with, and process the energy of their feelings.
I can help + I really want to
I have been working with this unique temperament of child for nearly years. In fact, I am that child and I have lived in that head space feeling naughty, misunderstood, alone and at times, either very angry or very afraid.
I know what your Wildheart child truly needs in order to feel seen and heard just as they are.
Accepted. Loved. Not difficult or tricky or wrong.
Truly Madly Smiley. An essential emotional education for life.
Join thousands of Wildhearts, parents & educators, who are committed to following their hearts and are on a mission to discover their own kind of happy ….one episode at a time.
New here? Let’s get you set up with my free guide!
Tune in to Truly Madly Smiley to find emotional freedom, peace and balance. The popular podcast for busy Wildhearts who are on a mission to discover their own kind of happy ….one episode at a time. Subscribe today and I’ll send you a copy of The Most Magical Podcast Guide, so you can get the most from each episode.