Here are some Smiley highlights if you’re short of time…
If you’re Googling stuff because you’re worried about your child, you’re not alone!
Listen to the full video and you can hear my discoveries. It may put your mind at rest. You may also like to watch this free video which will definitely make your life as a parent so much easier.
2:41 Why this gave me a bit of a wake up call which felt overwhelming (imagine what that must feel like for you guys!).
My Child Is …
3:35 When I typed into Google: ‘My child is….’, this is what came up:
- BEING BULLIED – this makes me so sad and if that’s the case for you, you might want to grab the download of this free training so you can safeguard your child. It’s likely your child has low self esteem and anxiety.
- OUT OF CONTROL – children who feel out of control need boundaries set with empathy. When your child’s behaviour goes wonky, they are asking you for more connection and for you to understand how they feel.
- SELF HARMING – children don’t have the life skills and coping skills to deal with their feelings. This is what The Energy Pod is for.
- BORED – this video will help you with that because it’s so important for children to be bored and learn to be with themselves. It’s not your job to entertain them. Give them some replays of the Energy Pod to watch, not only will it keep them amused but they’ll learn some valuable life skills while they are there.
- HATES ME – Are you taking it personally?
5:02 How parents hinder their children (not intentionally) when their child is being bullied or struggling with high conflict situations.
Why Won’t My Child …
6:00 When I typed into Google: ‘Why won’t my child ….’, this is what came up:
- BEHAVE – we need to stop judging children’s behaviour and understand their feelings. This is how they communicate with us sometimes. It creates low self esteem if we keep on labelling our children ‘good’ or ‘bad’.
7:00 Why we are wasting our time troubleshooting and problem solving children’s behaviour and what we can do instead.
How Can I Help My Child With …
8:49 When I typed into Google: ‘How can I help my child with ….’, this is what came up:
- ANXIETY – if you’re an anxious parent, it’s likely your child is anxious too. It would really help if you could learn to manage your anxiety, then you will be in a better position to help them.
- SLEEP – Check out my blog posts The Most Common Reasons Children Don’t Settle at Bedtime and maybe grab a copy of my Smiley Sweet Dreams Pack which will get you into a healthy consistent routine around bedtime.
- LOUD NOISES – your child is quite possibly sensitive. Lots of people don’t like loud noises.
- OCD – this is a form of anxiety. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can help with this.
Why Is My Child So …
10:05 When I typed into Google: ‘Why is my child so ….’, this is what came up:
- CLUMSY – I’ve got nothing??!
- CLINGY – this is separation anxiety and you can read more about it in this blog post How to Handle Clingyness without Losing your Cool
- ANGRY – What an Angry Child Needs will really help you to understand why anger has become such a problem.
- NAUGHTY – children are not their behaviour but their behaviour tells you exactly how they are feeling!
- SHY – some children are introverted and don’t need to socialise as much as others.
- NEGATIVE – this is common with children who have anxiety and low self esteem. My Smiley Thought Cards will help with this.
- DEFIANT – this is a call for connection with you and a way of getting your attention.
- LOUD – Are you a shouty house? Maybe your child is mirroring you. Check out How to Be Heard Without Turning Up the Volume
- PALE – Diet? Vitamin D? These are two things which spring to mind. I would check with your GP first.
- DIFFICULT – you can hear me say why I HATE it when people label their child difficult.
14:21 A lot of these are behaviours you would expect to see in a child, but if you’re an anxious parent then you will need a lot of reassurance. I’ve got something here that will help you with that. You may also like to read this blog What is normal anyway?
15:15 Why secure attachment is so important to your child and it’s the solid foundation for all their relationships in life.
17:05 Why it’s good for children to be scared in a controlled safe environment.
How Can I Stop My Child …
18:17 When I typed into Google: ‘How can I stop my child ….’, this is what came up:
- LYING – children lie to avoid getting into trouble. If you are using punishment, you might want to think again. Why Punishment Doesn’t Work (part 1)
- WORRYING – you can’t is the simple answer. What you can do is help them understand their worries and learn coping mechanisms. There are some great books over in the Smiley Reading + Resources Free Library or come to The Energy Pod and I’ll help you.
- HITTING ME – your child has too much power and is asking you to set some healthy boundaries
How Can I Stop My Child Worrying About …
18:27 When I typed into Google: ‘How can I stop my child worrying about ….’, this is what came up:
- STARTING SCHOOL – any uncertainty in life brings up worry. It’s a normal response to the unknown. What Your Worried Child Needs Most of All. I also have a fabulous Back to School Confidence Pack which will help them deal with all fears school related.
- BEING SICK
Watch my How to Take Charge of Your Worries and Fears video with your child and that might help them understand what happens to their brain when they feel worried.
21:00 How children internalise negative experiences and how coaching can help with that.
22:10 The one thing that people are also searching for a lot is ‘Why are children nowadays so entitled?’ I think this is to do with parenting style. What do you think? I’d love to know. Pop your comments in below.
23:30 The serious effects of bullying and why it’s getting worse.
Get Your Worries Out!
If you enjoyed that video and found it helpful, the next step is to take action! Your worries will continue to float around in your head unless you find a way to deal with them. I’d like to invite you to The Energy Pod (my online class) with your family and release those pesky worries. Find a way to nail them once and for all.